"Sponge Cake" is the basic recipe for the preparation of desserts, especially cakes. There are many different ways to prepare the sponge cake, but we have brought in this recipe the right way to have the right result. The secret to preparing the basis of desserts lies in the use of some specific ingredients and their line of preparation. If you follow the instructions properly, you will prepare the “ideal” sponge cake for your desserts.
- all purpose flour - 280 g
- granulated sugar - 200 g
- eggs - 4
- unsalted butter - 100 g
- milk - 1 cup
- vanilla extract - 80 g
- baking soda - 1 teaspoon
- In a deep bowl add the unsalted butter cut into small pieces, and granulated sugar. Mix with the egg mixer until the sugar granules are dissolved. It is important that the butter is at room temperature, so before using it, pull it out of the freezer at least an hour before.
- In the bowl add the 4 egg yolks (separate them from the whites) and continue mixing.
- Meanwhile, in another bowl add all purpose flour, vanilla extract, and baking soda or the yeast for cakes. You are personally suggested to use the yeast for cakes. It is an ingredient that can be easily found in markets near your home. 5 g of yeast is needed in this case (half package).
- Mix and gradually add them to the bowl with butter and sugar. While adding the flour, also add the milk little by little.
- Beat the egg whites until they turn into a creamy mass. If you use a hand mixer to beat the eggs, it will take 5-7 minutes. In the absence of the hand mixer you can use the egg mixer, but in this case, it will take a little longer 10-15 minutes.
- In the bowl with the dough gradually add the egg whites and stir from the top down until a homogeneous mass is formed.
- Put the prepared dough in the pan previously buttered and bake it in the oven at a temperature of 320 °F (160 °C) for about 30-40 minutes.
- To check if the sponge cake is baked well enough (without pulling the pan out), pierce the dough with a knife. If the knife comes out clean, the sponge cake is cooked enough. If the knife comes out unclean (with dough), the sponge cake must be baked for a few more minutes.